Sunday, October 22, 2017

Musical Inspiration Challenge Part 5: The Aim of the Conflict



For the aim of the conflict, my randomizer grabbed ‘Computer Eyes’ by Ayreon.

Ayreon is the name for a collaborative project of metal artists organized by Arjen Lucassen. Arjen’s like the metal version of Alan Parson’s in that he collaborates with really talented people on numerous themed and interesting projects. Ayreon is primarily a collection of interweaved rock-operas. Actual Fantasy, the album this song comes from, stands out because it has no real connection to the rest of the ‘canon’ storyline in Ayreon.

I was concerned about this one because it’s obviously got a sci-fi bent, and therefore starts dragging us in that direction. Sci-fi has always had a good place with fantasy and RPGs. The old school stuff had no problem with dragons and sorcery being put aside mutants, the a-bomb and laser cannons. If you want an idea about what old school D&D was like, look up the old Hannah-Barbara cartoon Thundarr the Barbarian sometime.

However, I was initially concerned that Computer Eyes might drag us too far into the stratosphere.

Still, let’s look at our lyrics.

////

Lost in a world created by Man
I can't recall how it all began
Tell me who am I?

Fictional stars in lost Galaxies
Synthetic dreams and false Memories
Is it all a lie?

There is no escape
There is no way out of here
I'm locked in this universe
The real world will disappear
Where fantasy dies
You will see our dreams
Material lies
Materialize
Computer eyes
Computerize

Virtual reality - computer Override
Actual fantasy locked away Inside
Am I no more than a Program
An artificial dream
A river of electrons flowing With the stream
A parallel dimension battle Simulations
Mind over matter brain Stimulation
I don't know if I exist I think Therefore I am
Without emotions I'm but a Hologram
There's no escape I'm locked In this universe
Where fantasy dies material Lies
Computer eyes

There is no escape
There is no way out of here
I'm locked in this universe
The real world will disappear
Where fantasy dies
You will see our dreams
Material lies
Materialize
Computer eyes
Computerize
////

Definitely a sci-fi bent, but there’s something more. To me, at least, it seems the song has a sort of existential dread about it. The idea of being trapped inside of a fictional universe, something defined by someone else, an arbitrary and confusing existence.

The idea that your actions, your dreams, your memories are ‘synthetic’ and lies created to enable the dreams of someone else are a fear that shows up in a wide variety of places.

In a way, the song can allow for an almost Platonic style to the nature of our conflict. Basing this on our earlier developments, perhaps our antagonist desires their previous world so forcefully, that they begin to enforce it on those who they can put their power over?

Imagine an entire village being gas-lit into believing that they are different people?

A hellknight, who uses the capabilities available to her as the head of a legion to recreate a society for herself, not just any society but her own. “For every man, his youth was Arcadia,” after all.  And so our antagonist is driven by nostalgia to force the people at sword or knife point into capitulating, forcing them to perhaps change their own identities and names, making them believe they are new people through memory modification magic or the threat of death.

And into this stumbles our heroes. A nice village, everything seems happy, but some stuff doesn’t add up, and people seem to be sad behind their bright smiles.

I kind of like that idea. Although, I might see something else, as this all plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Musical Inspiration Challenge Part 2: Our Contestants

Well, let’s begin this poorly thought out challenge idea for an adventure. I realize I should’ve thought of a way to determine level. Whoo...