Monday, August 5, 2019

The Retrospective Campaign And Where Spook's Been


Well there’s been a lot going on  in my life in the last six months. Work, that thing that provides the money that I use to buy things to eat and such, has been a bear. Also, all of my work for SKM it seems is going for naught as the players have moved on to other stuff.

I still plan on finishing the rule set and trying again eventually. I put this much work into it, and I’d feel bad about trying to sell it since I don’t want to step on people’s proprietary toes.

However, as I want to have actual content for people to read.. So I’m going to unpack my experiences a bit in this and a few other posts..

Firstly, the background though and a full summary of the campaign.

The game started a few years ago, it was a Pathfinder game that started shortly after the Advanced Class Guide came out. We started with, what’s honestly, too many players. About eight of them.

I’ve previously detailed the total party composition back in the post ‘Campaigns I have Run’ back..well..last year. Yeesh, it’s been that long?

Anyway, the premise of the campaign was the heroes having to deal with two primary threats, defeating them, and in so doing progressing the story of my campaign setting a bit more.

As this is the first post I plan to make about this, I want to unpack the concept of how to plan a narrative campaign. I bring this up because well, a lot of people these days are focusing on a return to the sweet wonder that is the OSR and its purely emergent storytelling. Some players still want the narrative planning experience. And the trick to that is to figure out what your main themes are.

Themes, you see, are more important than events. You end up riding the plot train a bit too thoroughly if you decide to have your players re-enact your badly written fiction instead of letting them play and get engaged on their own.

Themes also assist you in determining how events play out, what will ‘happen next’ and so on.

A guiding set of themes I built this campaign around were ‘The Importance of Letting Things Go,’ ‘Death Is Not The End,’ ‘Change,’ ‘Things Passing Away’ and ‘There Is No Such Thing As Being Neutral Between Good and Evil.’ Almost all of the villains, in one way or another, were focused on trying to hold onto things they shouldn’t have, control, power, love, and so forth, and the misapprehension of a lesser good for a greater one, is one of the classics for making a villain who’s an utter jerkass but who you can still understand.

The beauty of building from themes (as opposed to from a map, or a plot) is that it lets you roll with the punches quite well, and you can adapt to a lot more possible events (player caused and emergent) while still knowing what you want to get across.  A course correction to make sure a given NPC stays alive, or dies, or has a big noble last stand, are generally jarring to a player, but if you’ve done your work on consistently theming, then when events seem to keep resulting in consistent occurrences based on those themes, it’ll actually reinforce the importance of player agency.


The theme will also help you when it comes to dungeon designs, objectives, and so forth. In a long campaign you’re going to have to make stuff on the fly. It’s just how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Musical Inspiration Challenge Part 2: Our Contestants

Well, let’s begin this poorly thought out challenge idea for an adventure. I realize I should’ve thought of a way to determine level. Whoo...